Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 20:05:39
On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 05:00:40PM +0100, Roger Brooks wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, David Maxwell wrote:
>

> >mount -l dm_root /
> >
> >Where -l is meant to mean 'name from diskLabel'. If mount knew this, and
>
> Duh... You mean mount wanders off, groping all the disks it can find until
> it gets one with the right label?  What if it finds more than one with the
> required label?  I don't see how you could enforce a requirement that the
> label names be unique (particularly if you have removeable media).

My answer to the second question is this -> you put two drives on SCSI ID 1,
you shot yourself in the foot. Have a nice day. As for the groping, yes it's
a bit ugly, but it's only once, at mount time.

> If you let it use the first matching label it finds, aren't you back where
> you started?  Also, unless they are *partition* labels (not disk labels),
> you couldn't quite do things as in your example (assuming you want more
> than one partition per disk).

Right. I wasn't attempting to be too precise here, more to get comments
on the concept, and see if this solved any of the issues the c?t?d?s?
people want.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,