Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: C Kane <ckane@best.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1998 11:42:26
Warning: gratuitous self plug follows ;-)

According to C Kane:

>Using a link misses the point.  I want nailed-down names so device-
>renaming does not occur on bootup.

As others have stated, you can nail these devices in the config.  The
abc tool I released for testing last week will actually
_automatically_ nail any disks that are present for you.

>Another thing is that if we have a limit of 8 bits for the minor
>number, there can be only 32 nailed-down devices.

with current technologies, this appears to be a reasonable
limitation...

>If I added a tape drive, I could manually create c1t3d0 (for example;
>this would not go away even if the tape were not present on next
>reboot), and immediately access the tape device.

<feh> if we are talking commercial vendors then Sun don't even force
you to make the device node.

The ability to rescan a bus for new devices is a nice feature but with
the note that some buses cope with new attachments more gracefully
than others - scsi in particular can be a major PITA if you screw up
the bus termination/connections when adding a new device "live".

>HP-UX includes "ioscan" which will find all attached hardware for which
>drivers are in the kernel, whether or not they have device files.

find and configure or just find?  If it is just find then you may want
to look at the prtconf tool that I bundled with abc which tells you
what devices the NetBSD kernel knows about.  The prtconf tool is
really just a sub-function of abc.  Both prtconf and abc share the
device detection code, prtconf just prints out what was found whereas
abc does a bit more than that :-)

  And the monks would cry unto them, "Keep the bloody noise down!"
  - Mort, Terry Pratchett.