Subject: Ensoniq PCI
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1998 23:22:50
I noticed that netbsd-current had an Audio driver for the Ensoniq
Audio PCI card, so I ran out to Central Computer and picked one up for
$29.  Make a long story short, it appears that the card has gotten
rev'ed and is now no longer based on an es1370 but an es1371.  I'm not
yet sure what the differences are.  The specs are online, but they are
zipped "word" documents and I don't have them decoded yet.  For the
curious:

	http://www.ensoniq.com/multimedia/semi_html/html/es1370.zip
	http://www.ensoniq.com/multimedia/semi_html/html/es1371.zip

Did anyone look into what it would take to supporting the 1371 chip?
Hot-wiring the probe routine wasn't the only thing it needed. ;-) The
resulting kernel allowed one to open /dev/audio without panicing or
anything, it also accepted audio samples, but the audio output was
quiet.

-wolfgang