Subject: Re: Another changer, another changer problem
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1998 11:06:08
On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Todd Whitesel wrote:

 * > Is there any specific reason it _shouldn't_ probe all 8 LUNs?
 *
 * A hypothetical scenario is a buggy device that crashes if you probe anything
 * other than LUN 0. (Though this might be covered by a quirk table. Oh well.)

There ya go.  Quirks.  Gotta love 'em.

 * I have a UMAX scanner (Astra 910S) that causes 1.3.2 to complain loudly for
 * each LUN after 0, so I usually leave it powered off except when I really need
 * to use it.

Quirk time!

 *
 * > I wish I had a SCSI controller capable of recognising LUNs, actually
 * > -- it would octuple my current drive address space; considering that
 *
 * Huh? Wouldn't you have to convince some of your existing devices to share
 * a SCSI ID, but only respond to different LUN's?  I don't think this will
 * "just work" in the setup that you're describing here.

Uh, actually, when I said SCSI controller, I didn't mean the SCSI bus
(esp0), I meant the controller as in the card that drives the disk
drive. Currently, most, if not all, manufacturers ship disks that have a
one-to-one disk-to-controller mapping; I'd like it if there were some
that at least could split 2 disks (LUNs) for one controller (Target).

 *
 * Todd Whitesel
 * toddpw @ best.com
 *