Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1998 00:24:30
[ On Wed, September 30, 1998 at 19:55:36 (-0400), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
>
> In that case, we wouldn't change behavior.  I was proposing something
> similar to what Digital UNIX does:  accept valid arguments (no error), even
> for options which are not implemented (currently all of them).

Excellent proposal.

For a system call that simply passes helpful advice into the kernel
it's perfectly legitimate to ignore any and all advice, regardless of
whether anything could actually be done about the suggestions.

The return code of such a system call should indicate whether or not the
information was successfully passed into the kernel, not whether or not
something might be done with the information.

--
							Greg A. Woods