Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages (LONG)
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1998 01:41:52
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> I think meta-pkgs are Right Out. Once you buy into pkgsets instead,
> and accept that pkgsets arent quite the same as normal pkgs, then ts
> of the answers just fall out.  Jim and I seem to've got to the same
> place, anyway.
> But when all you have is the install floppy and missing a component
> means rebooting DOS and refetching, or even scheduling a second visit
> to a friends', or even another trip, its just not on.  Not just me,
> I'm merely the poor sod working on sysinst at the time, who tried to
> record it all. These were brought up as real, serious objections.

Well, I've made my points. My hope was to get a system out of this that
 - does scale well, even for fine granularity as we have in pkgsrc already
 - can be used for system pkgs (sets) as well as pkgsrc pkgs

As this is obviously not the goal here (per your cited concensus), all
that's left is to wish you much luck.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>