Subject: Re: Version releases and current-freezes
To: Andrew McMurry <a.mcmurry1@physics.oxford.ac.uk>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1998 21:07:39
Andrew McMurry writes:
> Where are announcements made about current freezes and upcoming
> version releases?

Right here.

However, in general, -current never freezes.

What happened for the last two weeks (with -current not building) was
a very unusual fluke.

> I am subscribed to current-users, tech-kern, source-changes,
> port-arm32 and netbsd-announce and occasionally see references to the
> current version letter (eg 1.3G, 1.3H...)

Those are changed non-atomically. Changing the version number is
traditionally done whenever major kernel interfaces change. It is a
fairly non-formal thing.

When we get ready to do a full release (1.4 will be the next one), we
branch the tree -- we don't freeze the head. We do freeze the branch
when we are done, but that's another story.

> mini-freezes etc.

There are no freezes, mini or otherwise.

Perry