Subject: Re: texinfo files
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@www.fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1998 13:31:46
Greg wrote earlier:
>I've no problem at all with having a stub like this in the system since
>it's easily removed or replaced, and it effectively disappears if the
>user puts the real program elsewhere in their path.

Personally, I'd rather not have two programs with completely different
functionality laying around my filesystem with the same name. (I know
there are source file exceptions to this already, but no executables I
can think of.) This type of thing breaks the 'least amazement' rule
to me - someday someone doesn't have their path set right and they
get an error message, but 'which' tells them the program is in their
path - they copy the program from one machine to another, it worked
on the first, why doesn't it work over here...

Please make sure the pkg system overwrites (or unlinks) such a stub
when the full pkg is installed.

On Fri, Sep 25, 1998 at 09:43:00PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Fri, September 25, 1998 at 21:08:39 (-0400), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: texinfo files
> >
> > As if Linux doesn't require the texinfo package to be installed for such
> > functionality.  And Linux users almost never compile things that are
> > available as packages, which include dependency info.  The argument just
> > doesn't connect.
>
> My argument about Linux users might not "connect", but it's a reality.
> I hear similar things from my Linux "friends" all the time, even when
> talking about system documentation (though they're still far more proud
> of LinuxDoc than anything else).

Like the stock market, it's perception, not reality that counts here.
"If something doesn't work on my Linux box, I can buy books, CDs, or ask
the millions of Linux users via newsgroups, mailing lists, etc."
					- Virtual Linux User X

I think we need to not just match Linux/FreeBSD/commercial Unixes for
ease of use/reliability, but exceed them.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,