Subject: Re: texinfo files
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1998 21:08:39
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

: > On the other hand, I don't see us _ever_ putting TeX in the tree.
:
: Perhaps not, and I'm not asking that it be done either, but so long as
: NetBSD sources come with texinfo documentation it should be next to
: trivial for someone to install whatever TeX package they wish into the
: base system and be able to typeset those documents into one of their
: intended final forms.

: Complicating this process by even the one tiny step of requiring a user
: first (re)install the *full* GNU texinfo package will only confirm the
: suspicions of all those folks who claim NetBSD is too finicky and only
: for experts, and off they'll go to join the Linux or FreeBSD crowds.

As if Linux doesn't require the texinfo package to be installed for such
functionality.  And Linux users almost never compile things that are
available as packages, which include dependency info.  The argument just
doesn't connect.