Subject: Re: bug messages
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1998 23:14:28
Hi Bill,

Bill Studenmund wrote:
> I'd suggest you send the updated patch in. If you reply to the initial
> message you got from gnats, I think it will update the bug report.

AFAIK, that's correct. It will append the mail to the bug report.

> > We definitely need a bug-administrator whose single task would
> > be to take care that send-prs get processed in a timely manner.
> > I know that this is a voluntary project, but if we would find
> > a brave soul who would remind the responsible persons every
> > now and then about their assigned bugs, and maybe reassing
> > the bugs or fix them himself, that would be great.
>
> If the bug has a responsable party assigned, I think Erik's reminder
> scripts will remind that party about the bug.

That's great! I didn't know about the existance of this script.
However, this still leaves the other task I mentioned:

Who reassings a bug if the fix takes to long?

And you brought up another aspect to consider:

Who takes care that all bugs are assigned to someone?

IMHO, we need some people who just take care of fixing bugs.
We have lot's of extremly talented developers, who
make excellent designs and implementations, but it
would be great if we had a couple of people who
just fixed some bugs and thus freed our talented
developers from this (mostly) busywork, so they
have more time to spend on designs.

  Guenther