Subject: Re: More licensing flames...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/1998 01:36:00
[ On Mon, September 21, 1998 at 23:40:45 (-0500), Peter Seebach wrote: ]
> Subject: More licensing flames...
>
> /usr/src/usr.bin/file/LEGAL.NOTICE
>
> in today's sup.
>
> Someone else can fill in the details of the flames.

No surprises here.

Ian Darwin's copyright license is very similar to the copyright license
used by Henry Spencer and Geoff Collyer on C News with an added explicit
term that makes it a bit more like the GNU GPL.

I.e. if someone wants to distribute a proprietary derrivation of NetBSD
they must include the contents of /usr/src/usr.bin/file/* along with the
GNU GPL licensed in the set of sources that they must continue to make
available to their customers, even if they make changes to these
components.

So far as I know the copyright license on Ian's version of "file" has
always been this way.

--
							Greg A. Woods