Subject: Re: Sysinst Tool Question...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/18/1998 16:39:18
Your message dated: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:39:23 -0400

>> Would it be easy (to implement) and nice (to have) to add the
>> folowing feature to the sysinst tool: Let sysinst record a trace/log
>> of the installation/configuration parameters it gets from the user
>> to get a NetBSD system up and running. For a subsequent install that
>> trace/log could then be used to do an automatic install on that
>> particular machine.
>
>Hell yes!    I'm not sure I'd use it the way you suggest, but it
>certainly sounds useful!

My main use is for machines owned and used by family and friends that
I (have) manage(d) to convert to NetBSD under the promise to do the
system-admin in case something goes wrong. (It's a real joy
to see your non-tech friends happily write their reports using xemacs
and LaTeX on NetBSD and hear them cursing the days they had to live without
it). Personal files on such machines reside either on my file-server (for
local users) or can be backed-up via the Internet
for remote-users. As some of my `users' live at the other side of
the country (small country but still...), my sysadmin work needs
to be done remotely mainly. Therefore, providing these users with
a simple way to get their machines up-running-and-connected again
when things went horribly wrong would be plain great in this case.
This will become a bigger issue as I plan to move out of this country
in some time...

Feico.