Subject: None
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1998 14:30:49
>Hmm, I've heard there are `third party' Kerberos 4 dists out there.

Yes, various Ebones-derived stuff, (MIT krb4 code with the crypto
stuff replaced with blank lines, which were re-engineered).
Also Heimdahl (KTH's V5 re-implementation).

>Moving the `domestic' stuff away from your government isn't a good
>idea I suppose? There isn't much in there, so finding free equivalents
>wouldn't be that hard.

The US government, that is. (I'm an NZ citizen; they have no problem
with me exporting Kerberos, or at least nobody notice dwhen I fixed
the endian bugs in Ebones back in the 80s and re-exported them to Oz).

>The only requirements would be that someone is
>willing to maintain it, and that some people (a fairly large part of
>the active hackers, I guess) can't touch it (directly).

Problem is that we're moving to krb5.  Most of the expertise in doing
Good Stuff is held by USAians, or people in the USA, who've worked
with MIT KRB5.  Heimdal isn't real enough to use yet, AFAIK, so even
setting up a CVS repository outside the USA doesn't help.