Subject: Re: kerberos question
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1998 12:51:46
>Urrk, I'd _never_ propose GSS-RPC in the kernel.

Whew.

[export]
>Hmmm ... that's a good point.  I guess it doesn't really make sense
>at all, then.  Oh well ... makes my job easier, that's for sure :-)

Great  Glad I asked.

>The _intent_ is to not lose functionality.  You should still be able
>to do a V4 kinit, telnet, rsh, rlogin, etc etc.  But the current V4
>domestic code will go away and it will all be based on the V4 compat
>code that comes with V5.

That sounds great.  But AFAIK that only lets you use a V5 KDC to get a
V4-compat ticket.  I'm asking about using a NetBSD client to get a TGT
from a V4 (AFS V4) KDC. For that, AFAIK, you need a V4 client suite.
Is that right?

> The only thing that you might lose is the
>ability to run a V4 admin server (and I'll make sure that doesn't
>go away if that will really impact people).

Personally, I don't give a toss about running a V4 admin server; I
just need to get a TGT from someone else's V4 KDC.  Changing passwords
via their V4 admin server would be nice, though.

(If it matters, my group has its own V5 realm I'd like to use.  I just
need to do a V4 kinit as another principal in the AFS-V4 realm, as well.)