Subject: Re: road map for new immigrants?
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1998 00:17:58
seebs@plethora.net writes:
> In message <199809150400.XAA00916@set.spradley.tmi.net>, Ted Spradley writes:
> >Could someone give me a quick pointer to "How To build NetBSD from
> >sources"?  I'm a recent immigrant from FreeBSD.  I've groveled around in
> >http://www.netbsd.org/ and found how to get the sources but not how to
> >compile 'em.
> >
> >I tried "make build" in /usr/src, and it choogled along for a while, but
> >then quit when it failed to find something called "compile_et".  I'm sure
> >there's something more I should have done, but where do I find out what?
>
> There are a few tools which have to be built before you can use them to
> build other tools.

make build does that for him already. he hit a bug of some sort.

> The easy solution is sometimes 'make depend',

make build does that for him already.

> but in this case, I think (the first time only, luckily) you have to
> go into /usr/src/domestic, find the directory with all the
> compile_foo* in it, and run 'make && make install' there.

Yup.

> I would *love* to see this cleaned up; I think a system with a compiler
> should be able to
> 	make
> in /usr/src and expect to see success.

That is not reasonable.

We have multiple targets for a good reason -- make depend shouldn't be
done each time, for example. "make" on its own is needed to indicate
that you want to build but that everything needed for the build is
already in place.

We have "make build" for "build the world from scratch" -- we don't
need to make "build" the default target.

Perry