Subject: Re: road map for new immigrants?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.tmi.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1998 23:31:37
> Which set of sources are you using -- 1.3.2, or -current?
>
> WARNING: if you are running a 1.3.2 machine, and building -current
> sources, you MUST first install a new kernel. Otherwise, your libc,
> which refers to new system calls, and your userland, which uses those
> calls, will not work. Building a -current kernel from 1.3.2 sources
> will almost doubtless require that you manually rebuild and install
> config.
>
> If you are building 1.3.2 sources with a 1.3.2 kernel, or if you
> already running a -current kernel, ignore that warning.

I'm running a port-alpha snapshot from June 28, and I want to move to
-current. I suppose I'd better build config and a new kernel first, and
then "make build".

> > I tried "make build" in /usr/src, and it choogled along for a while, but
> > then quit when it failed to find something called "compile_et".
>
> Hmmm. It shouldn't have done that. Did you forget, perhaps, to unpack
> the secr set when you built your machine?

Hmmm.  Maybe that's it.

> Anyway, the simple solution to that problem is to go into
> /usr/src/domestic/usr.bin/compile_et and type
>
> "make depend && make && make install"

I'm supping 'release=security'.  Will making and installing in
/usr/src/domestic... as you say fix things if I did fail to unpack the
secr set?

> and then do the make build again.
>
> > I'm sure there's something more I should have done, but where do I
> > find out what?
>
> No, make build is really what you wanted.
>
> Perry

Thanks, again.