Subject: Re: road map for new immigrants?
To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.tmi.net>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1998 23:04:58
In message <199809150400.XAA00916@set.spradley.tmi.net>, Ted Spradley writes:
>Could someone give me a quick pointer to "How To build NetBSD from
>sources"?  I'm a recent immigrant from FreeBSD.  I've groveled around in
>http://www.netbsd.org/ and found how to get the sources but not how to
>compile 'em.
>
>I tried "make build" in /usr/src, and it choogled along for a while, but
>then quit when it failed to find something called "compile_et".  I'm sure
>there's something more I should have done, but where do I find out what?

There are a few tools which have to be built before you can use them to
build other tools.  The easy solution is sometimes 'make depend', but in
this case, I think (the first time only, luckily) you have to go into
/usr/src/domestic, find the directory with all the compile_foo* in it,
and run 'make && make install' there.

I would *love* to see this cleaned up; I think a system with a compiler
should be able to
	make
in /usr/src and expect to see success.  (If necessary, the source-tree
build stuff could copy all the includes into some subdir of /usr/src and
build with -I/some/subdir/of/usr/src to avoid concern about pollution.)

-s