Subject: Re: /kern/kernel
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/13/1998 18:14:26
Robert Elz writes:
> Finally, yes, I know that making a change like that this breaks the
> ability of things like the -M arg to ps (the ability to do a ps of a
> crash dump).  Frankly, I don't care, and I doubt most users do
> either.

Fortunately or unfortunately, at the rate NetBSD kernel development
proceeds, lots of systems hackers are major users of these tools, and
have to analyse a lot of kernel core dumps. It is true that the users
don't care for themselves, but they should care in so far as they want
their systems stable, which requires that the systems types be able to
debug problems quickly.

Perry