Subject: Bad rlogin/telnet performance?
To: Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/13/1998 17:07:49
Hi,

I upgraded my systems to 1.3F (old? well..) and noticed a weird thing:
When I rlogin or telnet from system A to system B, the connection is
slow.  For example, if I start an editor and keep a cursor key down,
the cursor "jumps" several rows/columns at a time because the display
isn't updated fast enough.  Even worse, mutt sometimes interprets a
cursor key as multiple separate keys instead of the normal cursor key
escape sequence.

If I use ssh to log into B from A, everything works just fine.

If I rlogin/telnet from 1.3F machine into 1.2 system, things work OK.
If I rlogin/telnet from 1.2 machine into a 1.3F one, things get slow.
ssh works OK in both directions.

All this is occurring on a 10 Mbps Ethernet.

Any ideas?  At present, rlogin and telnet are quite unusable... :-(

  -jm