Subject: Re: README: process reaper committed
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/1998 11:59:36
    Jason> "Um, did you update your libc, and then boot an old kernel?"  You're
    Jason> probably getting nailed by the fact that libc now uses pread(2) and
    Jason> pwrite(2) in the DB routines, which would get kvm.db and pwd.db lookups.

  We did this with 1.2 current as well. There were several times when you
could not go back to a 1.2 kernel without going back to a previous libc,
and tools.
  Now, given UVM, there is some desire to move upwards to a -current kernel.
I would have liked if we'd left libkvm using read/write until the next
release, and then switched to pread/pwrite. Our dependancies in -current
have gotten complicated again. Better than last year at this time, but
still a problem.

  This is particularly a problem given that we have 1.3.2 CDs, which is
where a lot of people will start again when reinstalling enough to restore
from tape.

  I hope that another release is imminent.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.
 Corporate: sales@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca.
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.