Subject: Re: README: process reaper committed
To: Ryan Ordway <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/1998 17:42:19
Ryan Ordway <rimsky@teleport.com> writes:
> 	Yep. In all cases it shows up as:
> NetBSD 1.3H (BRAHMS) #1: Wed Sep  9 08:18:04 PDT 1998
>     sammael@brahms:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/BRAHMS
>
> 	Yes, it says #1, but it is actually the 5th compile. I've
> reconfig'd. ;-)

(uh, reconfig'ing the kernel shouldn't clobber the number, unless you
rm -rf the kernel compile dir or remove the version stamp file...)

> > Do you have any programs in your startup sequence that _do_ mess
> > seriously with kernel variables, load LKMs (<- !!!), etc?
>
> 	Nope. Just the various network and local daemons, like apache,
> sshd, inetd, etc.

hmm.

> > Does the Right Thing happen if you change your kvm_mkdb invocation to
> > make create the DB from /netbsd.BRAHMS-4?
>
> 	I'm assuming it would, as it's always been kvm_mkdb /netbsd. Same
> kernel. I can TRY renaming it to /netbsd.BRAHMS-4 and change the kvm_mkdb
> invocation in /etc/rc... if it would help anything. Tho, I'm pretty sure
> that at least the DB stuuff would be fine (I don't know if it would still
> cause the other daemons to segfault, but I doubt it)

it'd be interesting to know.

the other programs which are crashing _aren't_ related to the kvm db
stuff.  changing the kvm db stuff shouldn't make a diff for them.

which indicates to me that you're running into some other bug.

(However, I don't see how it could be 'reaper-related', either, except
by luck, at this point...)

cgd
Plug: Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today! http://www.netbsd.com/