Subject: Re: wscons fonts
To: current-users@netbsd.org, Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/1998 22:35:06
Excerpts from netbsd: 2-Sep-98 wscons fonts Chris Jones@rupert.honor (621)

> How do I change the font that wscons is using?

There is an ioctl (WSDISPLAYIO_SFONT) which allows
to load fonts.
There are 2 drawbacks at the moment:
1. There is no tool which helps you in this. This is for some
  reason - a clever ressource managenent scheme is needed
  with the final goal to allow an own font for each virtual screen
  (but avoiding multiple copies in the normal case where one
  font is used for all). This will probably require an interface change.
2. Only the lower 128 bytes will work as expected. The VGA driver
  assumes that fonts are IBM-encoded. Incoming characters
  are treated as isolatin and mapped to IBM as far as possible.
  (otherwise shown as smileys as you have probably seen)
  What's missing is a flag or even a table which is loaded with the
  font and which tells about its encoding.

So I'm sorry that that's all not very helpful for you yet.

best regards
Matthias