Subject: Re: Odd problem FTPing via nat/ppp?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@wavefront.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/01/1998 23:04:00
On Tue, Sep 1, 1998 4:57 PM, William O Ferry <mailto:WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
wrote:
>     I recently moved, and have been working on getting my systems up.
> One machine has a modem and a static IP so it is set up for
> demand-dialing PPP, and also running NAT for the other systems.  The
> setup is working fine, with one exception.  There is one file that
> consistantly fails to download, either via FTP or HTTP.  I was
> eventually able to download it by FTPing it to another account I have,
> gzipping it, then FTPing it to my local systems.  But it seems to me
> that a certain data pattern must confuse PPP or NAT or something.

That some thing might be the modem on the other end intercepting
data that resembles the "AT" attention command (PlusPlusPlus)contained in
your data file.  This happened with my ISP. The modems were stripping
attention commands. If this is the case you should be able to test it
for you self.
1) Choke ftp with that file.
2) Can you still do some web surffing or get you mail or other ftp's?
   If "Yes" then the problem is the ISP's modem.

BA-