Subject: Re: SMP/flogging a dead horse
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/1998 14:46:08
> The _funding_ organization, Ted.  I was not referring to the NetBSD
> organization in my post.

Okay, I'll buy that.

But why haven't we had a status report in the past six months?  I know
this is a hard problem, but even if there's been a lot of travelling
down blind alleys, that's interesting, and certainly nothing that
needs to be concealed.  This is research - blind alleys are par for
the course.  If people are being discouraged from trying to make
progress on their own, complete disclosure on the alternative being
pursued is a _must_.

Multithreading the kernel is a really hard problem, and is not a
prerequisite for useful MP support, nor would adding useful MP support
prevent progress on kernel threads.   Based on what I've heard so far,
I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a parallel (!) MP
project.

			       _MelloN_