Subject: Re: SMP/flogging a dead horse
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/1998 12:22:59
At 11:59 -0700 8/31/98, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>There is already a fully funded project that is working on
>multithreading our kernel, so there isn't really much cause to port
>the FreeBSD code.

And it will be ready ... when?

I don't think a competing effort to do something is a bad idea; it gives us
alternatives for commit when the time comes. Better: we get to benchmark
and evaluate running code instead of debating theoretical implementations.

This is only a problem if you view the pool of talent available and
qualified to do work on NetBSD as both limited and fully engaged. While I
would agree that the pool is definitely finite at any given time (size of
the pool is another matter), I have my doubts about it being fully engaged.

	Erik <fair@clock.org>