Subject: Re: SMP/flogging a dead horse
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1998 16:26:07
    John> That kind of haphazard software ``design'' is why I run NetBSD, not
    John> Linux.  If I wanted "ship it, then fix it", I'd be running Windows.

  I didn't say don't design it: I said implement it incrementally.

    John> (I've spent much of the past 8 years fixing busted locking
    John> hierarchies in one multithreaded system or another.)

  Getting it right is hard, no questions about that. Getting it to work
in MP mode means that more of us might buy that second CPU, and so more
of us can work on SMP code.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.
 Corporate: sales@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca.
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.