Subject: Re: isp / st problems
To: Neil Hoggarth <neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1998 12:25:41
Ummmm- what's probably happening here is that the Qlogic f/w is sending
a WIDE DATA XFER message- and instead of just doing a message reject,
the HP drive is aborting the whole command.

Sigh. I have some unchecked in code that might deal with this. I'll try
and get it checked in very soon. The change here has to do with upgrading
Qlogic f/w and using a 'force narrow/async' option which will keep the
Qlogic from automatically trying to negotiate wide && synchronous.

As an interim solution, around line 494 in isp.c where it does
a MBOX_SET_TARGET_PARAMS, change the line that has:

	mbs.param[2] = sdp->isp_devparam[i].dev_flags << 8;

	mbs.param[2] = DPARM_DISC|DPARM_PARITY|DPARM_RENEG|DPARM_ARQ << 8;

you could also do a check against the targets and only make this change
for the target that the HP is at. This will turn off wide, sync and
tagged attempts. SCSI devices should cope automatically with attempts
to do any of the above, but sometimes they don't- and what I should be
doing is peeking at the Inquiry data for the support bits, as well
as paying attention to NVRAM settings, before enabling autopilot for
these features.

Let me know how it progresses.