Subject: isp / st problems
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Neil Hoggarth <neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1998 18:20:34
I've got a Chaltech CATS system running NetBSD/arm32, current(ish). I've
just added a Q Logic QLA1040 SCSI controller and an HP DDS tape drive.
The system correctly recognises both the controller and the tape drive
at boot. Any attempt to do anything with /dev/rst0 (or varients
thereof) results in an input/output error and a console message:

st0(isp0:0:0):  Check Condition on opcode 0x0
    SENSE KEY:  Aborted Command
     ASC/ASCQ:  Invalid Message Error

(the kernel is compiled with the SCSIVERBOSE option).

The same tape drive works fine (with a different controller) under
NetBSD/arm32-1.3F on an Acorn RiscPC.

The Q Logic controller drives a SCSI disk okay and I'm pretty confident
that I've got all the cabling, termination and such sorted out.

Does anyone know off hand what sort of conditions in the st driver would
trigger this sort of message, or have any suggestions as to what might
be wrong? I've started looking at through the source but it's been a
while since I did any SCSI, so if anyone out there has any bright ideas
then I'd appreciate a shove in the right direction!

Regards,

Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology
http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/~njh/                     Oxford University, UK