Subject: Re: ld: symbol __PROCEDURE_LINKAGE_TABLE_ remains undefined
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1998 08:45:10
seebs@plethora.net writes:
> That's my understanding.  Well, here's what BSDI said
>
> 	Why did BSDI switch to ELF?
>
> 	ELF dynamic linking allows applications to avoid the limitations
> 	caused by fixed addresses and offsets in static linking.  ELF
> 	executable file support brings BSD/OS in line with industry standards.
> 	The system now executes ELF programs in addition to a.out and COFF
> 	programs.
> [ ... ]

That, of course, is only because they were using a brain-dead
(but slightly faster) shared library implementation to begin with.

They could have avoided those limitations from the start if they'd
used a better a.out shared lib scheme, but they chose not to.

cgd
Plug: Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today! http://www.netbsd.com/