Subject: Re: questions with route
To: nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
From: Sverre Froyen <sverre@cyberneering.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/1998 15:27:33
In <3.0.32.19980826072214.00f52db0@mail.vt.edu>, nm writes:
> I run 1.3.2 on a DEC Alpha
>
> I have both a de0 and a de1.
> on the de0 side q.r.s.27 is a host
> on the de1 side the rest of the q.r.s class c sits.
>
> My question is should the following work?
>
> root@anomoly:~$ ifconfig de0 q.r.s.202 255.255.255.0
> root@anomoly:~$ route add -host q.r.s.27 q.r.s.202
> add host q.r.s.27: gateway q.r.s.202
> root@anomoly:~$ ping q.r.s.27
> PING q.r.s.27 (q.r.s.27): 48 data bytes
> ^C
> ----q.r.s.27 PING Statistics----
> 4 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
>
> Should I ping be working or not?
> Did I screw up the route?

Sounds like you got it amost right.

>From the route man page:

  If the destination is directly reachable via an interface requiring no
  intermediary system to act as a gateway, the -interface modifier should
  be specified; the gateway given is the address of this host on the common
  network, indicating the interface to be used for transmission.

Since your host is directly reachable, you need to specify the
interface name on your route add -host statement.

Sverre