Subject: Strange Routing Situation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/24/1998 14:03:08
Hello All,

I am a college student living on campus.  In each dorm room there is an
ethernet port on the wall.  I would like to set up a freebsd box and a
windows box behind a NetBSD firewall in my room, but I am not so sure that
it can be done.

Here is some background info:
	q.r.s is the class c for the floor
	q.r.s.1 is the gateway to the inet for the floor

	q.r.s.27
	q.r.s.28
	q.r.s.201	these are the ip's that have been allocated to me.
	q.r.s.202

I have no control of the configuration of the campus router (q.r.s.1)

I have two DEC ethernet cards in my Alpha (de0 and de1)

|---------[NetBSD]-------<hub>-----[windows and freebsd]

The address of the NIC in the NetBSD box that is on the campus network
is q.r.s.202 (de1)  the one on the side of the internal network is
q.r.s.201 (de0)

After I have ifconfig'd the card I need to use route to set the static
routes right?
and after that I would prolly need to do some messing with the arp cache
via arp right?

Well I would think that after I have the proper routes set up that I could
ping a host
on the campus network from the netbsd box and i could also ping host on my
internal network
from the netbsd box right?

well I tried setting up the routes and doing this but I failed.

I will try and gather more info and log the route lines i tried if that
helps but right
now what i want to figure out is if this is possible?  i have done almost
this exact thing
under a linux system with few problems btw...

Thanks,
Nick

I have a DEC Alpha running 1.3.2.