Subject: Re: KNF and braces (was: Re: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE rev. 4)
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/1998 22:52:27
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 01:11:22 -0700 (PDT)  Todd Whitesel wrote:

> > vi doesn't auto-indent, which leaves people open to making stupid
> > nesting errors that would never occur if they used a real editor.
>
> 	:set autoindent

While I'm a vi fanatic, I don't really call this "auto-indent".  Sure,
it keeps your cursor at the same indentation as the previous line, but
when I type a "}" on a line by itself, it doesn't start the next line
one tab (or swift-width or whatever) to the left of the previous line.
However, "autoindent" combined with "showmatch" (which I personally
despise) doesn't do too bad a job...

Anyone with copious amounts of spare time available?

Simon.

ps:  It'd be great if vi realised you'd pasted already indented text and
automatically turned of auto-indent :)