Subject: EGCS 1.1 UPDATE rev. 4
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/1998 13:52:13
As before, please do not submit PR's on egcs just yet, as it's known not to
work in several places.  But a post to tech-toolchain@netbsd.org would be
nice.

This status report reflects the state as it sits in NetBSD-current as of
this message, so it may be until the next supscan for all sources to be
available via sup.

===== PLATFORM INDEPENDENT KNOWN PROBLEMS =====

These problems are known, and "working" below does not infer that they are
fixed.

- egcs will sometimes issue "uninitialized" warnings when it shouldn't.
  Gross.  Looking into it; you can put "CFLAGS+=-Wno-uninitialized" in
  /etc/mk.conf to work around it for now until egcs is fixed.  This
  seems to be a problem with attribute(__noreturn__).  (thorpej@netbsd.org)

- egcs issues warnings about "ambiguous braces" that is supposedly against
  KNF (I haven't checked thoroughly).  Use "CFLAGS+=-Wno-parentheses" in
  /etc/mk.conf to override this behavior.  This may be removed from the
  set of warnings issued by "-Wall".

===== MAIN GCC ARCHITECTURE COMPONENTS =====

- Haifa scheduler: Available, but untested on any platform.  You can build
  egcs with the newer Haifa instruction scheduler by setting USE_EGCS_HAIFA
  in /etc/mk.conf.  The egcs configuration scripts set this by default on
  some platforms now, and those defaults will be added to the NetBSD
  Makefiles later today.

- alpha: Working.

- arm32: Problem with -msoft-float not turned on by default, which I'm
  investigating.  Otherwise works for C, not heavily tested for C++.  Will
  keep updated.

- i386: Working, reported by <thorpej@netbsd.org>.

- m68k: Set up but not yet tested.  I need volunteer(s).

- mips[el]: Set up but not yet tested.  I need volunteer(s) or may do this
  myself.

- mipseb: Not yet set up.  Some diffs need to go in for this.

- ns32k: This is unfortunately a big problem.  Our gcc 2.7.2 was very hacked
  from the mainline gcc sources, and I don't know what changes needed to go
  where.  Right now, ns32k.{c,h,md} are a big mess.

- powerpc: Working, reported by <tsubai@iri.co.jp>.

- sparc: Working, but REQUIRES a fix for a null pointer bug in the old gas
  assembler in order to compile -fPIC code.  The src/gnu/usr.bin/gas tree
  in -current has the fix, or a 1.3.x and higher binary is available from
  ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/as.GOTfix - install into "/usr/bin/as".

- vax: Set up but not yet tested.  I need volunteer(s).

===== GCC SUBSIDIARY LIBRARIES =====

- libgcc: Working (now in src/gnu/lib/libgcc).

- libf2c (libg2c): Partly working (now in src/gnu/lib/libg2c).  Needs some
  rigorous testing and LP64 fixing.

- libobjc: Working (now in src/gnu/lib/libobjc).

- libstdc++: Not yet set up.

===== OTHER TASKS =====

- Make tree useable for a host other than NetBSD: not yet done.

- Import binutils 2.9.1: not yet done.

- Import gdb 4.17: not yet done.

- Upgrade recursive-directory scripts: not yet done.