Subject: Re: ypbind -broadcast/ypserv broken
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/1998 21:02:32
Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Brian C. Grayson wrote:
>
> > From tcpdump, I can see the broadcasts
> > from the NetBSD client running ypbind -broadcast to
> > 128.83.52.255, but it never receives any replies from the NetBSD
> > server.
>
> What does your /var/yp/securenet file say? It looks like the server will
> only allow connections from nets noted in that file if that file exists.

  We use /var/yp/pdslab.acl, and run ypserv -d -a /var/yp/pdslab.acl.
Here's the entire pdslab.acl file, including a stale comment:
##  For now, allow marvin, and deny all others.
allow host orac.ece.utexas.edu
allow host localhost
allow host marvin
allow host r2d2
allow host c3p0
allow host orac
allow host data
allow host lore
allow host sim1
allow host sim2
allow host sim3
allow host sim4
allow host sim5
allow host sim6
allow host hal
deny all

  All of the machines work if I specify the server in
/var/yp/binding/pdslab.ypservers (so I know the ACL works
overall).  Is there some special flag that says, handle bcast
requests from any of the allowable hosts?

  Does anyone have the non-explicit/bcast method working?  Is it
some weird ACL vs. securenet thing?

  I also should have mentioned that we aren't quite at
cutting-edge current:  the server's kernel is from June 29, and
ypserv is from June 11.  But a quick check of ypserv's source
files shows only localhostname.c and yplog.c (both in common/)
have been changed since our build.

  Thanks.

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
PhD Candidate, Electrical and Computer Engineering, UT at Austin