Subject: Re: IPNAT rules?
To: None <nverenin@san.rr.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1998 07:57:24
> Actually, I don't think any of the *IX ip filtering/translating systems
> (ipmasq/ipfw,ipnat/ipf) support static NAT either.

Uuh?

I'm using a standard NetBSD-1.3.2 based ISDN router here with ipf/ipnat
to do the following:

 - let one of my machines (actually for that use running NT) hide it's
   official IP address from my home network and pretend it's on a
   different subnet (at work) over one connection to a customer, but let
   it use it's official address via the connection to my isp.

 - let an old notebook connected via a plip connection hide it's internal
   (plip) network address and map it to it's official address (out of the
   range assigned to my ethernet subnet). This saves me some addresses I
   would have wasted if I split my official address range further.

I would call both of these "static NAT" - both sides of the translations
are static. And it just works.

Martin