Subject: Re: pmap_enter problems on syscall 3 (read)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/1998 13:43:24
    Jason> On Sat, 01 Aug 1998 03:58:00 -0400 "Michael C. Richardson"
    Jason> <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

    >> I was running 1.3.2+Bouyer IDE on my mail server. It was okay for
    >> awhile and then it started to crash with a panic. Same one, top of
    >> stack says something about pmap_enter, bottom of the stack is syscall
    >> #3 (SYS_read).

    Jason> It's important to know exactly what the panic message + stack
    Jason> is...

  Yes, agreed. Since I wasn't getting a panic dump from it, I was getting
anxious, and hoping that this was something known.

    >> I'm building a -current kernel for this machine... but does this crash
    >> ring a bell with anyone?

    Jason> It might, but you need to provide more data...

  Okay, I replaced my aged /sbin/savecore with a more recent version, and
I got a panic dump from the system.  (alas, I've been sick all weekend)

  This is what I have so far:

istari-[network/kernels/crash/lox] mcr 455 %gdb netbsd.0
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-netbsd), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb) target kcore netbsd.0.core
panic: ptdi %x
#0  0x0 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0 in ?? ()

  Uh? Huh? Now I can't get the results. ARGH.
  My mail server is now running 1.3F. If the problems go away, then knock
on wood...

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.
 Corporate: sales@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca.
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.