Subject: Re: NFS locking
To: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/1998 10:39:05
The only place I've ever seen where NFS locks matter is when people use an
NFS mounted /var/mail - that's a database where concurrency control is
absolutely necessary because there are multiple readers and writers, and
lock contention is a serious issue.

Unless you have shared accounts where more than one person from different
workstations access the same account, you're probably going to be just fine
without NFS locking for an NFS mounted /home filesystem.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to fix it, but for the situation
you describe, I don't think it's all that urgent.

	IMHO,

	Erik <fair@clock.org>