Subject: Re: On wscons, mice, and keyboards
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/1998 17:45:52
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Lennart Augustsson writes:
> > The current wscons design has a problem as far as I can tell.
> > There is no possibility to have multiple mice (everything I say
> > here applies to keyboards as well) report events to the same
> > device.
>
> Could a pseudodevice perhaps be used to collect events from all the
> other mice and "combine" them?

I'd prefer something like this.

One of the things I've thought of in the past for Macs was to hook two
multiple mice or keyboards up, and to have a virtual device link them
together. So you'd have something like vmouse0 which gets events from
mouse0 and mouse1. If, for some reason, you wanted to know what mouse1 was
doing, you'd open it (instead of vmouse0).

Doing it as a pseudo-device'd be cool as then we could hook two screens to
a computer, and then agregate different keyboards & mice to different
screens. Ok, so it's a bit much, but it's readily doable. :-)

Take care,

Bill