Subject: Re: Can't boot from 07/18/98 tar_files (i386 - K6-266)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul M. Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/1998 00:20:32
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
> "Paul M. Newhouse" <newhouse@rockhead.com> wrote:
>
> > Platform: K6-266/Micronics Twister AT-2B
> > Build:    from 7/18/98 tar_files
> > Problem:  boot panics with
> >
> >    aic at isa0 port 0x340-0x35f irq 11
> >    panic: inter-establish: can't share level-triggered with edge-triggered
> >
> > I'm pretty sure I copied that correctly.  This worked under "NetBSD 1.3E"
> > (ok that's a couple of months old).
> >
> > Do I have to configure things differently now?  What did I do wrong?
>
>do you have an aic card in the system?

Yes.

>If yes, what else is at irq 11?

Nothing as far as I can tell. This is the only liens with 11 on them from
the previous booting kernel:

   de0: 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
   aic0 at isa0 port 0x340-0x35f irq 11

>If no... well, the probe for aic looks broken, I guess.

Hmmm, The aic card usually gets:

   aic0 at isa0 port 0x340-0x35f irq 11
   scsibus0 at aic0: 8 targets
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out AGAIN
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out AGAIN
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out AGAIN
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out AGAIN
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out AGAIN
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out
   probe(aic0:0:0): timed out AGAIN
   probe(aic0:1:0): timed out
   probe(aic0:1:0): timed out AGAIN
   probe(aic0:1:0): timed out
   probe(aic0:1:0): timed out AGAIN

There's a CD-ROM and a tape drive connected to it, I've never gotten
either to work.  I just leave them in there hoping someday I'll get
around to figuring out what the deal is.  It's on a sound card (stop
laughing like that *8^) which will play music but doesn't respond to
any of the NetBSD audio stuff I've tried (not very exhaustive testing
just screwing around with it from time to time).

I probably should get a real SCSI card!? (and a real sound card).

Thanks,
Paul