Subject: Re: things I noticed with NetBSD on my laptop
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/1998 22:59:56
On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 03:05:47PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > The Thinkpad (560X) does indeed use a hibernate file.  I'd imagine
> > that you need to boot up win95 to get that straight.  I presume the
> > machine does a vanilla suspend/resume correctly.
>
> I think the hibernate file writes to a DOS partition, but you don't
> need DOS to create a DOS partition...

After searching the IBM WWW pages for hours, I ran into some stuff
about the hibernation file.  It should exist on a DOS partition, AFAIK,
and if the amount of RAM is changed, a new file has to be created using
a "PS/2" command (so they say).  I have searched the supplied CD for
anything like this, but couldn't find it.  (My laptop even hasn't got
a CD-ROM drive.. I wonder how IBM expects me to be able to read the CD
in the first place?  Well, this kind of stuff seems to happen all the
time in the peecee world, argh.)

I'll try creating a DOS partition using NetBSD.. and maybe creating
some file there using dd.  Would help if I knew the name, though... ;)

The URL to this stuff is http://www3.pc.ibm.com/techinfo/4e0a.html

  -jm