Subject: Re: Support for Adaptec 2930 in NetBSD-current?
To: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/1998 07:51:37
At 12:49 AM -0500 7/21/98, Duncan McEwan wrote:

>I couldn't tell from Adaptec's web pages what the differences between the
>2930 and 2940 are (apparently the 2930 is for "desktop PC's" whereas the 2940
>is for "desktop PC's or servers").

As far as I can tell, the 2930 is an Ultra SCSI card and the 2940 is an
Ultra Wide SCSI card. The 2930 uses an 8bit data bus and the 2940 can use a
16bit bus, therefore the 2940 can achieve up to twice the throughput. The
2940 is overkill for anything but high speed Ultra Wide SCSI drives. I have
three 2940s controlling high speed RAID 0 arrays on workstations for photo
editing on the network I manage. Adaptec even offers a 2940U2W that is an
Ultra 2 Wide adaptor that can get 80 MB per second transfer rates. Now that
would be fast (where's the company check book? :) ).

I don't know if any of the Adaptec cards can work with NetBSD, I could only
comment on the differences between the 2930 and the 2940.

Eric Damien Berna
Thiel Visual Design
Phone: 414.271.0775
Email: eric@thiel.com