Subject: Re: scsi-disks hardsectored to 1024 byte/sec
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthias Pfaller <leo@klondike.dachau.marco.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/1998 01:25:17
In article <19980716211506.57708@wau.mis.ah.nl>,
	leo@wau.mis.ah.nl (Leo Weppelman) writes:
> Yes, weird isn't it... I have run multiple tests because I didn't believe
> it at first, but they were pretty consistent. For completeness, I think
> these tests should be repeated on more than 1 type of disk. It might have
> been a problem with the maxtor firmware. When I started playing with bigger
> sector sizes, I had the idea that 1K blocks should be slightly faster...

I don't know how old your drive is, but afaik with most of these old
drives you get more space when using larger sectors. This is due to the
fact that you need fewer intersector gaps. But these intersector gaps
usually still are smaller than the intersector gaps when formatted with
512b/block. So it is harder for the small overloaded microcontroller on
the disk to hit the next sector's header. This might be even harder when
writing than when reading.

Matthias
--
Matthias Pfaller                            Software Entwicklung
marco Systemanalyse und Entwicklung GmbH    Tel   +49 8131 5161-41