Subject: Re: things I noticed with NetBSD on my laptop
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/1998 12:18:58
> On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 08:12:59PM -0700, dustin sallings wrote:
> >      Few things I noticed with my Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS:
> >
> >      apm works pretty well until the machine goes to sleep.
>
> What happens then?  apm works quite well on my ThinkPad 310E, but the
> battery status display (the percentage value) isn't getting updated
> except the moment when I connect or disconnect the AC adapter.  Hibernate
> mode works just fine on my machine.  Sleep mode works, but the hard disk
> is restarted almost immediately.. I guess cron or update is accessing the
> disk.

	My machine just completely freezes up.  One time, I was actually able
to switch consoles and type something before it froze up, but I think I was
just lucky that time, every other time I've sent it to sleep, it completely
froze (no network, no console).

> >      I've had a few problems with X (now that I've got it going), but
> > I'm not sure if it has anything at all to do with NetBSD.  My machine
> > does this thing occasionally where the keyboard will freeze up, and then
> > a few minutes later, the display all messes up.  Both happen immediately
> > if I set xdm=YES in rc.conf.  If I start xdm out of rc.local, it works
> > fine.
>
> xdm=YES works on my machine.  Are you using pcvt console?  Maybe you need
> to disable getty when using xdm?  (A wild guess)

	Yes, I'm using pcvt.  The strange thing is that I *can* use xdm if I
start it later.  I didn't investigate this enough (didn't want to freak out my
machine too much).

> I'm also having problems with the ym sound driver.  When mpg123 opens the
> driver, I hear several clicks from the speakers and everything on the
> machine stops for a moment.  During this stop, I get ethernet receive
> buffer overruns and the mouse pointer isn't moving etc.  This doesn't
> happen with .au files, AFAIK.

	My sound driver was broken at first, but it was my fault.  I'm not a PC
user, so I wasn't ready for all the IRQ problems and stuff.  I simply had the
sound driver watching the wrong IRQ, as a friend pointed out to me, and when I
changed it to the right one, it worked fine.

--
SA, software.net         My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>