Subject: Re: build broken at usr.bin/fstat
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/16/1998 17:41:50
> From seebs@guild.plethora.net Thu Jul 16 17:33:56 1998
>
> It doesn't matter, it's wrong anyway.  It's an *UNSIGNED* int, and,
> if we're going to pick nits, it is *not* permissible (in C89, with
> the most recent set of rulings, I think) to pass an unsigned anything
> to %d.
> ::::::
> However, if you want to use (unsigned long), use %lu.

Well, certainly size_t is unsigned, we all know that, although since you
have to cast it anyway in order to print it you can make it signed.

I suppose I could have spelled out every last detail. But most people seem
to get %d, %u, %ld, and %lu correct. What they don't realize is that the
base type changes, i.e., unsigned int vs unsigned long.

I guess I should have said that.