Subject: Re: Problems mounting filesystems - 1.3.2
To: David Maxwell <david@www.fundy.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/16/1998 10:26:48
On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, David Maxwell wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 02:53:03PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > Because there is no non-exportable version of the algorythms used for
> > password encription. We use the same algorythm UNIX has been using for the
> > past 25 or 30 years. It's also the same algorythm in use all over the
> > world.
> > All the export-controlled algorythms can easily decript encrypted text.
> > That's why they are export-controlled. :-)
>
> That certainly wasn't the case as recently as eight years ago, when Canada
> was the only country allowed to receive crypto code from the US. And even
> then, it was extremely difficult to convince many suppliers that they were
> allowed to send you their products, they just knew the 'NO EXPORT' rule.

I'm confused. Which one of those two "wasn't the case?" We're talking
about the password routines which are in both non-exportable and
exportable UN*X systems. They're in the exportable NetBSD source tree, as
well as all the other free UN*X's. They also are in all the unix boxes
sold overseas.

The thing that was missed in the start of the thread was that the password
encryption routines are NOT part of the export-controlled part of the
tree. Thus they are the same whether or not the secr.tgz files have been
installed.

> Was there confusion right from the start then?

Probably. Though most of the boxes I've seen (well, recently) have said
"for sale only in the USA and Canada," so someone's got it right.

Take care,

Bill