Subject: Re: ext2fs support on big-endian systems
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 07/15/1998 16:37:10
On Jul 13, Bill Studenmund wrote
> Recently someone posted on port-mac68k about having problems mounting
> ext2fs filesystems.
>
> That got me wondering if the fs will work right on big-endian systems.
> Recently Linux, for what EVER bizzar reason, decided to go with all fs's
> being little-endian on disk. For LE systems, that's fine. But BE systems
> have to do byte swapping.
>
> Will the current ext2fs code support this byte swapping?

Yes it will, since 1997/10/09 (so it is in the 1.3 branch too). But I admit
I didn't test it since some time (and I only tested it on a sparc with a
FS created on a i386). Are you sure the FS you are trying to mount is
in LE format ? I think linux/mac existed before the decision to go
with LE filesystems everywhere, so there may be some BE ext2fs lying
around ...