Subject: Re: Sysinst confusion and recommendations.
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1998 17:38:24
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Markus Illenseer wrote:

> >              No Multi-user mode - No Login. I got stuck here because I
> >              couldn't figure out how to edit rc.conf. None of my editors
> >              worked. I'm going to re-boot to 1.2.1 and clean-up the 1.3.2
> >              install.
>
>  Guess why I am still using vi - after 14 years of evil experiences... :-)

vi still needs your /usr partition mounted though, as well as termcap (and
curses?) I've occasionally had to use ed to edit stuff :) It's not bad for
a line editor, although I think I like PrimeOS (PrimOS?) EDIT better (the
only other line editor I've used, besides MSDOS EDLIN :)

BTW, to the original poster who had trouble getting his editors to work:
Chances are you could've mounted /usr and any other partitions with "mount
-a" (or "mount /usr" to just mount /usr), then "export TERM=terminaltype"
to set your terminal type. That's usually enough to make editors happy...
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++