Subject: Re: No manuals for gated in 1.3.2???
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1998 15:35:24
On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Gerald C. Simmons wrote:

> I was working to configure my upgrade of 1.3.2 from 1.2.1, and I noticed there
> were no man entries for gated (8) or gated.conf (5), eventhough there are
> referenced in other placed (like routed (8) )
>
> I was previously using my NetBSD box as a gateway. This required GATED=YES in
> netstart. Also ROUTED="-q" --- NetBSD 1.2.1.
>
> Now I notice with GATED=YES and ROUTED=YES I get a warning that both shouldn't
> be running. Could someone explain?

You shouldn't have been trying to run both gated and routed. They both try
to do the same thing - manage the routing tables. They can easily step on
each other if they're both running.

Hmm. The -q option to routed seems to keep it hushed. So I'm not sure what
was going on. :-)

Oh, you'll have to get gated out of the packages collection. Something
about the license (probably some very specific restrictions therein :-)
prohibit us from bundling it w/ NetBSD.

Take care,

Bill