Subject: nfs-rooted machines
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1998 09:59:28
This is slightly off-topic, but I hope everybody will bear with me.

I have a 1.3.2 i386 which is booting off a floppy and mounting its root
via NFS from a Solaris 2.6 machine.  At least, it *was* doing that, until
I rebooted the Solaris machine last night.  Now, when it boots, I get an
error 13 (EACCES) when it tries to mount its root.  I've verified that IP
addresses are correct on both ends for server and client.  When I run
showmount -e on the server, the client shows up as able to mount that
directory.  I've got it exported as "rw=client,root=client", so I'd think
it would be able to do anything it needed to on the filesystem.

Strangely enough, I've got another 1.3.2 i386 box that, if I add it to the
dfstab on the Solaris machine, can mount the same directory with no
trouble.  So what's the difference between these two machines?  They're in
the same subnet, and they're using the same (correct) subnet mask...  I'm
at a loss.  What else can I do to debug this?

Chris

Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu
           Mad scientist at large                    cjones@nervana.montana.edu