Subject: Re: More on the gui install thing.
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: David Maxwell <david@www.fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 07/12/1998 01:50:21
On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 11:36:42AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >It's easy to do a GUI if you constrain the environment sufficiently that
> >you can count on various elements to always be there. Alas, we are in no
> >position to do that - most often, the hardware is already there, and we
> >take it as it is.
>
> [snip]
>
> >Perhaps we can find a way to make it work across more than one platform.

There may never be a perfect solution for all platforms, but perhaps one
possibility would be to support a remote graphical install - boot the new
machine and attach a serial cable to an existing Windows or X machine which
could provide as fancy an install process as we might like. This shouldn't
be the only option of course, many people don't have a notebook or second
machine handy, but it might be useful.

								David Maxwell